DC Amalgamated Transit Union Local 689 seeks a motivated and experienced Communications Coordinator to build an inspired and vibrant communications program.. The ideal candidate will be a people person, have a commitment to union values, experience with traditional and untraditional media outreach, and a track record of using social media and technology to tell stories, communicate complex ideas, and inspire people to make change.
With over 13,000 members, Local 689 is the recognized voice for transit workers in and around the nation's capitol. Recently elected leadership seeks to step up activism in the local and build a rigorous social media presence that both engages members and builds broad public support for a public transit system. This position offers the right person an outstanding opportunity to build a highly visible multifaceted communications program integral to the local's success.
This position is based at the union office in Forestville, MD, just outside Washington, DC.
- Write and design press releases, blog posts, social media content, infographics, magazine articles, brochures, event flyers, petitions, and other materials as needed to drive the union's activities.
- Write and manage email communications with members and supporters, work to grow the local's reach and ability to mobilize through creative email and text messaging campaigns
- Curate the union's social media channels and manage strategic social media campaigns
- Conduct outreach to secure coverage of union activities in traditional print, TV, radio, and online media outlets
- Develop and maintain relationships with media/reporters
- Manage content creation for the local's website and keep it regularly updated
- Act as a spokesperson for the union to the media and at events when asked to do so
- Coordinate as needed with other local staff members
- Other tasks as required, we work as a team to support our members
- 3 - 5 years experience with media relations, graphic design and communications for organizing, political, or social advocacy work
- Experience running successful social media campaigns and other online advocacy
- Proven track record of acquiring local and national media coverage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fast learner, ability to adapt quickly to new technology and seek out innovative ways to spread the union's reach
- Proficiency with MS Word, spreadsheets, Google-docs, and social media channel management
- Working knowledge of databases or mass email software like Salsa, Action Kit, Mailchimp, or NationBuilder is a plus.
- Willingness to work hours as needed to complete projects and support organizing campaigns.
To apply, please send the following to: Ktraber@atu689.org subject line: ATU689 Comm Coord Application
- Cover letter
- 3 references (provide name, title, organization, email, along with how the person knows your work)
- 2 writing samples
- One example of a graphic, flyer, meme, website, or image you've designed
- Indicate recent salary history and any salary requirements